Sunday, August 11, 2013

Walking in Memphis


Well this weekend was great, of course! Not much time spent in any one place but it was still super fun to spend time with my family. We celebrated my mom's birthday Friday night with some yummy Indian food and cake. Any night at our house wouldn't be complete without also chasing my brother's dog, Bawse, around the yard. He's so much fun and currently learning lots of frisbee and fetch tricks so it's very entertaining. He might be the coolest and smartest dog ever.




Saturday morning we packed up the cars and headed to Memphis. Packing/unpacking Peter was 100000x easier than any time I ever moved. Sometimes I'm slightly envious of guys and how much little stuff they have. After we unpacked everything we headed to one of my favorite Memphis restaurants, Trolley Stop Market. Everything there is good, but the pizza is my absolute favorite. I mean just look at it. It really can't be beat. The pictures don't even do it justice. 



A nap was entirely necessary after that meal. While Peter and Katie organized his room my parents and I took a walk around downtown and had some patio drinks at Blue Fin. It's right on the trolley line and had a great atmosphere. Oh yeah, and I was the total 3rd/ 5th wheel at everything this weekend. I guess it's something you just kind of get used to when you're fiancé lives on another continent (but not for long!)



If you couldn't tell already, food was the total theme of the weekend. So with that in mind we headed to Central BBQ for dinner. While there are a lot of amazing bbq places in Memphis (obviously), Central is probably my favorite. You just can't beat the bbq nachos there. I can't imagine ever visiting Memphis without making a stop there. 


No pictures at the next stop, but we headed for drinks at Local. That was super fun! In a super weird coincidence, we happened to run into one of my parents' friends from home in the basement at the bar. It still blows my mind sometimes when things like that happen. Like how are we in the tiny basement of a random bar in Memphis and see one of our neighbors?! Sunday morning I had coffee and Gibson's donuts (YUMMM!) with my friend, Dina, before we headed out. It was a little sad saying goodbye to Peter but I know he's going to have the best time in Memphis. As much as I loved undergrad, P1 year was probably one of the most fun years of college. Isn't his house on mud island so cute?! 


Anyway, I'm back home with my sweet little kitty now and very happy to just be hanging out on the couch. It's back to reality tomorrow with a 5:30am wake-up call. Oh yeah and I'm working until 9pm! 

1 comment:

  1. I have a terrible confession to make... I didn't eat at Central BBQ when I visited Memphis! But I did a lot of drinking on Beale Street, and I recognize those trolley tracks, so hopefully that counts as a true Memphis weekend. Looks like you had fun! Hi to all the Calkins!

    ReplyDelete