Sunday, August 4, 2013

Weekend Recap



First off, thank you everyone for the support about my first post! It really meant a lot and made me not feel like a total weirdo.

This weekend has been awesome in a very laid back kind of way. I worked Monday-Friday last week so when the weekend rolled around I was SO ready. I feel silly for saying this but I'm not used to working 5 days in a row. I'm used to working a lot but I usually have to work at least one day on the weekend so then I get off a day during the week. Anyway, that made the weekend seem extra sweet :) My brother, Peter, stopped by work on Friday to get caught up on his immunizations for pharmacy school. While I have no actual desire to hurt Peter I'd be lying if I said it wasn't just a little fun to stab my brother with a sharp object. 




I worked until 9 on Friday so I just came home and hooked up Darren's Wii to my Amazon prime account and watched a free movie. That thing is pretty nifty! Speaking of nifty, I got a new camera! I am so excited about it! It's been on my wish list for awhile now- ever since I went to Ireland with my friend Chelsea last year and saw how awesome her nice camera was. I got a Panasonic Lumix Gf5. I found a great deal on a used one on Amazon and just went for it. It hasn't let me down yet. The main reason I decided on this camera is because it's actually fairly small for a nice camera. The lens that comes standard on it is a little bulky but still overall a lot smaller than most.  There's a much smaller lens I have my eye on but it costs way more than I bought the whole camera for so that will just have to wait. 


Source


Saturday morning I went on a run on the greenway next to my apartment. It's so nice being able to step outside and walk a few feet and be right on the greenway! This was the first time I have been on it by myself because I'm a little afraid to run alone after a super freaky incident I had in Memphis running alone. I figured there would be lots of people around on a Saturday morning and I was right. Don't worry though, I still ran with pepper spray... better safe than sorry!  Then after Becky finallllly ;) woke up we headed to the farmers market for our usual Saturday morning ritual. 



If you live in Knoxville and haven't been to the farmer's market.. go right now! It puts me in such a good mood every time I go.  It's the perfect size not too big, but not too small market. They have groceries, baked goods, flowers, crafts, and more. Every since my favorite pharmacist told me about the pretzels there, I get them every time and I've got Becky hooked on them too. We head straight for the pretzel sticks and then stop next door to get the world's best (I'm not even exaggerating) iced coffee. We have discovered the secret to the iced coffee is using soy milk.  It makes it sooo creamy and just perfect. Seriously, just try it. I think the coffee stand is from Old City Java but I'm not sure who makes the pretzels. 

Seriously SO GOOD. I hardly had time to take a picture before it was gone.



Apple fritter from the same stand as the pretzel. Mouth is watering just looking at the picture again






While at the farmer's market I picked up some ingredients for homemade salsa. There's just something about super fresh salsa made exactly how you like it. I didn't get too fancy with mine and just used fresh tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, garlic, lime, salt & pepper. I forgot to take a picture of it before we started eating it but you get the idea.


Peter and Katie came over for dinner so I made some shrimp tacos and guacamole to go along with it. The tacos would have been awesome except for the fact that tortillas kept breaking which made for a very messy dinner. I also got to see my BFF and former roommate Jenni on Saturday night which made me soso happy! Her friend lives in the same apartment building as me... such a small world!

Sunday has been totally low key. I turned in my keys to my old house and due to a weird miscommunication, I ended up not actually having to clean the house which was awesome but they threw away a few of my things so that's a little frustrating. In preparation for my triathalon I went to campus and swam a few laps. The swimming distance of the triathalon (300 yards) is so short that it's almost funny. I used to have warm ups for swim practice that were longer than that. Still though, I don't want to not prepare for it and it's a good way to get in some exercise. I plan on attempting to somewhat organize my closet for the rest of the afternoon (so exciting, I know). This whole fitting two peoples clothes in one closet isn't easy when I'm not used to sharing. Wouldn't want it any other way though!

In case anyone was wondering what the baby was up to this weekend, this about sums it up. Lazy and beautiful as usual. 



Hope everyone else had a great weekend too!!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoying your blog, Rachel! Looking forward to following your tri training too :)

    ReplyDelete